Every year one of our plants over produces beyond our capacity to eat it. This year it is yellow squash. Last year we had zucchinis the width of our thighs. We made all kinds of fun recipes with zucchini from bread to crisps. We froze zucchini bread and some of our favorite recipes. This year our yellow squash choked out the zucchini and we are back to the drawing board on recipes. Up until now, our family has been fairly boring when it comes to squash. It has been something you dice up and toss with zucchini for a fresh summer side.
With the summer quickly coming to an end we started thinking of ways we could prep and store it so that we have fresh yellow squash until next summer. Following are some of the new recipes we have collected. Each of these recipes can be found on the OnceAMonthMeals.com software (a little more about that in a second, but first the recipes).
Yellow Summer Squash Recipes
- AIP Squash Lime Soup – This can be served hot or cold. Store it in a mason jar in the fridge and it’s easy to grab on your way out to work. (how to freeze). The creator of this dish has been a clinical nutritionist for 17 years.
- Sunny Summer Squash Soup – This soup is from the fat free vegan. She uses whole foods and no oils. Be sure to check it out! (how to freeze)
- Baked Squash with Pesto Gratin – This is a dinner on it’s own. Throw in a side of pasta or some crusty bread and you have a family favorite from the garden.
- Sausage and Summer Vegetable Packets – This recipe is a new favorite because of how easy it is to clean up! Everyone gets their own foil packet. Would make for a great camp meal around the fire as well.
- Southwest Summer Squash Bake – This is a great recipe to have on hand, and ready to go in the freezer, for all the upcoming potlucks the fall brings.
- Southern Squash Casserole – The south knows how to turn any healthy vegetable into a comfort filled casserole. Add grilled chicken and a side salad and dinner is ready to go.
- Simple Side – And then, of course, there is the Zucchini and Squash side that our family has come to love. It’s fresh and quick and a great addition to stock pile your freezer with.
The above recipes are great and easy to make. But they can be even more simplistic. We manage our daily meals with Once A Month Meals and save the weekends for the big jobs (like our smoked ribs and chicken and waffles).
Here’s how we use Once A Month Meals for the abundance of our garden.
You will need an account. Sign up here for a FREE mini menu trial. You’ll receive a freezer cooking menu with 5 recipes, plus a grocery shopping list, prep instructions, recipe cards, labels and more.
Choose a Mini Menu (any of them will do)
Open the menu and click swap recipes on the top recipe.
It will take you to a recipe search. Type in yellow squash (or whatever it is you have an abundance of).
Choose the new recipe. And repeat until you have the 5 you want.
Make sure to adjust the number of servings for your family size. I always add one extra serving because we never know if one of the kids’ neighborhood friends will be staying for dinner.
You will be making a total of ten dishes. The software is set to make two meals of each. This means if I leave the above as is I will be making a total of 8 servings of each recipe.
Print your shopping list. Go shopping the day before. It makes the process simpler. Be sure to have all the tools you need. Here are a few of our favorites for cooking day.
Pyrex Simply Store 6-pc Rectangular SetZiploc Double Zipper Freezer Gallon Bags, Total: 152 Bags (4 X 38 Count)Avery Shipping Labels with TrueBlock Technology for Inkjet Printers 3-1/2Jokari Hands-Free Baggy Rack Clip Food Storage Bag Holder, 2-Pack
Start with a clean kitchen and make sure to complete the Prep Instructions. Cooking day instructions assume you have completed them.
Print off the instructions, recipe cards, and labels. Have them easily accessible.
Follow the cooking instructions, label your dishes, and fill your freezer.
Enjoy your freezer full of fresh garden squash! We will be. If you have other great squash recipes we’d love to hear them in the comments below. We love Once A Month Meals so much we became affiliates.
For other great tips like this one join our facebook group Recipes: Healthy, Fun & Farm 2 Table.